Oxa's sleep preparation exercises include soothing soundscapes and hypnotic biofeedback to help you fall asleep. Oxa detects when you fall asleep and fades out the audio before switching to sleep monitoring. Sleep monitoring stays active until you wake up. Based on the data collected during sleep, Oxa displays metrics such as sleep position details, sleep onset, and detailed, interactive sleep timeline graphs.
After initiating a sleep session, Sleep can continue with or without a stable Bluetooth connection to the Oxa app. When Bluetooth is disabled, your sleep session is stored on the sensor, so you can sleep phone-free. Transfer the data to your phone when you wake up to explore your sleep summary and free space on the sensor for the next night of rest.
In this article, we will walk you through Oxa's innovative sleep management tools, designed to help you achieve a restful night's sleep. This guide is designed to provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to make the most of Oxa's soothing soundscapes, hypnotic biofeedback, sleep monitoring, and sleep summary features. Follow the Sleep Tutorial for a guided introduction in the Oxa app.
This guide contains:
To start Oxa’s sleep routine:
- Open the Oxa app.
- Select the Sleep tab.
- Select “It’s time to sleep”.
- Configure your preferences according to the options presented in the app, described below. Values selected the first time will be saved and can be adjusted before the next sleep session.
- Select Start.... The session starts if the sensor is connected. For help connecting the sensor, refer to the Oxa general setup instructions.
The sleep preparation exercises are customizable, providing you with complete control over the experience. Choose your breathing rate and the audio breathing guide automatically adjusts to your selected pace, or choose free breathing or no guidance to lie down with less instruction.
To choose your breathing pace:
- Start step 1 / 3: Choose your breathing
If you’ve previously configured your sleep settings, select Modify next to Breathing pace
- Swipe left to explore the breathing pace options:
- Easy: an easy, symmetrical breathing rate with 4 second inhales and 4 second exhales
- Optimal: a breathing rate of 6 br/min with 4 second inhales and 6 second exhales. 6 br/min is optimal for resonance and can help soothe you toward sleep.
- Basic: Select the breathing rate that works best for you. Choose Natural for a 2:3 inhale:exhale ratio or Symmetrical for equal inhalation and exhalation lengths.
- Advanced: Tap Change view and configure and calculate your own breathing pattern.
- No breathing guide: breathe on your own with no audio experience. The breathing guide is deactivated, with the option for an audio soundscape and sleep monitoring.
- Select Choose. The selected breathing pace saves.
Note: if “Sleep exercise” is disabled, the breathing guide and soundscape are deactivated.
Audio soundscape experience
Based on your preferences, the sleep preparation phase provides soothing soundscapes and hypnotic biofeedback to help you fall asleep.
To choose your audio experience:
- Start step 2 / 3: Choose your audio
If you’ve previously configured your sleep settings, select the arrow to modify your choice of Soundscape.
- Choose between the listed audio options.
- Select Continue. The selected audio experience saves.
- Select the speaker icon to customize and adjust the balance of narration, breathing guide, soundscape (music), and biofeedback.
Once you start the sleep session, Oxa detects when you fall asleep and fades out the audio before switching to sleep monitoring.
Oxa detects your sleep onset, and sleep monitoring stays active until you wake up. Based on the data collected during sleep, Oxa displays metrics such as sleep position details, sleep onset, and detailed, interactive sleep timeline graphs.
Sleep monitoring is activated by default. To deactivate sleep monitoring, tap the slider to toggle it off.
For the best experience, connect your mobile device to a charger nearby for the duration of the sleep experience.
Select I'm ready to sleep.
The LED fades off once the sleep preparation session begins.
Lie down, follow the guide, and let yourself relax to sleep. Lose yourself in Oxa’s hypnotic sleep preparation journey.
Oxa’s sensor gradually ends the audio experience based on a pseudo-detection of when you fall asleep. Once you stop following the guided breathing rate and your breathing rate returns to 10 breaths per minute or more, the audio fades out and switches to monitoring. A typical relaxed breathing state is faster than the guided relaxation rates. After approximately 2 minutes of independent breathing, the audio ends and sleep monitoring stays active. The sleep onset displayed in your sleep summary are calculated after you wake up, with a more precise algorithm.
Upon waking, explore your sleep summary.
If you sleep phone-free and disconnect the sensor from the app overnight, the sleep session data is stored on the sensor. Reconnect the sensor to the Oxa app to upload and view your sleep summary and journal.
To access your sleep session data:
- Tap “I’m awake.” The session ends.
- Enable Bluetooth or bring the device nearby the sensor. The Oxa sensor reconnects to the app/device.
- Fill out the journal and input notes about your sleep if you wish.
- The session data transfers from the sensor to the app/device. The download can take up to 15 minutes.
- Review your session details, including the sleep onset, position changes, and your heart and breathing activity over the duration of your sleep. The sleep timeline is displayed alongside your sleep journal notes.
Now you’re ready to explore your sleep summary.