Oxa offers powerful breathing exercises that generate a variety of physiological benefits. By changing the way you breathe, you change the way you feel. Oxa provides the guidance and measures the results.
Vital Recording Options
Breathing and heart activity are measured and recorded when a session is activated. Oxa does not continuously track and store your vital data.
To see and record live vitals, you can:
- Begin or continue a Journey of pre-selected exercises
- Freely choose an exercise from the Explore menu
- Start a check-in: complete 2 or more exercises in the homescreen journey to unlock the monitoring option, available in the quick access menu as “start monitoring”
The monitoring/check-in option starts recording your vitals without any guidance or audio. Other exercises start with an introduction to explain the type of breathing and intended benefits, followed by an immersive audio-visual experience. On-screen guidance combines with guided narration by the breathing coach, and the audio soundscape crafts based on pre-generated music and other sounds that generate from your breathing pattern and depth.
To start an exercise:
- Make sure your Oxa garment, sensor, and app are connected.
- If you’d like the optimal audio experience, connect headphones.
- Choose between
- the immersive stress-relief journey on the homescreen. Unlock new calming exercises as you discover your heart-rate, guided breathing, and biofeedback.
- other skill-based Journeys to encourage Calmness, Coherence, Resilience, and Fitness.
- free selection of all exercises in Explore: choose what you like from the entire collection
- Select the exercise you want to practice.
- Preview what to expect, and select Start session.
- Listen to the spoken introduction for preparation, or select Skip.
- Follow the audio and on-screen guidance. The rings are not a guide but move in response to your breathing. Different scores can be displayed, depending on the type of exercise.
Select the 🔉speaker icon in the top right to adjust the balance of music and narration.
- Scroll to see the live signals, such as breathing depth, heart rate, and other live metrics of your body. The vitals displayed depend on the exercise type.
- The exercise ends automatically and displays the session summary once the time elapses.
Quick Access/Actions Exercises
Not ready to choose which exercise is right for you? After you start your first steps of the home-screen journey, the floating icon on the home screen has always-available options for cultivating calm and stress relief. Exercises such as “achieve deep calm” and “instant stress relief” train breathing patterns that are known to activate the parasympathetic nervous system (responsible for letting our bodies rest and de-stress) and gradually gain familiarity with breathing tools through repetition.
Navigating in an Oxa Exercise
The left sidebar timeline displays the time remaining before the next segment of the exercise.
Selecting < the back arrow while in an exercise will end the exercise and save the recorded data in the session history.
In addition to the live biofeedback displayed in the exercise and heard through the audio, each breathing session records a summary to review the effect and effectiveness of the exercise on your body.
The session summary opens automatically after ending an exercise. The full history of sessions can be viewed by selecting See all from the home screen section titled History. Select ⭐the Star to save an exercise as one of your favorites in the Explore catalog.
From an individual session history, you can:
- Add notes to your session, for example, to annotate your perceived experience or personal state
- See how your physiology changed throughout the session, as an overview or by viewing individual scores and vitals
- Export a JSON file of the session data
- Delete the session from your history. Note: deleting an exercise permanently removes the data.
- Repeat the same exercise.
Each vital (e.g. Calmness, Heart rate, HRV, Breathing rate) can be viewed on the timeline. Tap on the graph to zoom in or to display the raw signal data.
Select < the back arrow from a session summary to return to the home screen and start a new exercise.